Vaping refers to the use of electronic cigarettes to absorb substances. The electronic cigarettes are lit, the substances are burned and absorbed in the form of vapor. This practice is still very harmful and is recognized as one of the largest causes of preventable diseases. Despite this fact, the practice of Vaping is still a very common practice and has caused a very large number of preventable disease cases, this has prompted governing bodies to seek a solution to the problem. In an effort to reduce the number of disease cases related to Vaping, governing bodies have imposed regulations on the sale and consumption of Vaping products. These regulations are designed to ensure that Vaping is carried out in a manner that is deemed acceptable to both the public and the authorities. These are some of the regulations used to control Vaping:
- Age limit: One of the oldest and most widely used regulation techniques. All products relating to electronic cigarettes are sold only to consenting adults. The age of consent varies in different countries but the law is effective. Only individuals who are legally reprehensible can purchase the products, as it is believed that they would be able to use it responsibly, and if not, they can be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
- Area restrictions: A law common with smoking in general. Smokers are not allowed to smoke in certain public areas such as work environment, Hospitals, sports arenas, and conferences. This helps prevent people from suffering from the backlash of smokers (they don't smoke but they inhale the smoke). This way, anyone who suffers from Vaping related diseases is likely to have used the product themselves.
- Pre-sale testing: Certain substances are deemed too harmful to be used in creating materials for Vaping. Thus, all products relating to Vaping undergo safety checks and content tests, to ensure that they pass all the safety requirements before they are deemed acceptable to be distributed to members of the public. This helps to reduce the number of Vaping related diseases contactable.
- No free sampling: Businessmen usually employ the tactic of offering free samples to a member of the public, with the aim of finding new customers. Vaping materials salesmen are not allowed to employ this tactic. They cannot offer free Vaping samples as nicotine is a key ingredient and is known to have addictive properties. This way, innocent individuals are not coerced into an addiction they may not be equipped to handle.
- Restricted sale locations: The areas where materials related to Vaping can be sold are restricted to certain areas. These areas are believed to be free of legal minors and are in no way force advertising Vaping to other members of the public. This ensures that materials will only be sold to legal adults who are existing Vapers.
The governing bodies also employ many other restriction tactics to great effect, with the number of reported Vaping cases seeming to reduce. The restrictions also seemed to be generally acceptable to Vapers and non-Vapers alike.